Pre-IGCSE / GCSE
Our Pre-IGCSE / GCSE Summer School Course gives international students starting (or thinking about starting) IGCSE or GCSE courses the academic support they need to acquire skills vital to success.
- Perfect preparation for school term GCSE / IGCSE courses at Sherborne International or other schools
- For students aged 13-17
- Very small class sizes (5 – 8 students)
- 30 lessons per week: 22hr 30m
- Six lessons in each of four chosen subjects plus six lessons of drama
- Essential study skills
- Experience of practical science
- Optional additional individual tuition classes available
- Full programme of sports, afternoon and evening activities
- Two excursions a week (including study trips on alternate Wednesdays for those staying more than two weeks)
- For students with CEFR level B1 and above
Students on this course can choose four subjects from: biology, chemistry, physics, maths, history, English and English literature.
Lessons give an introduction to the kinds of content and skills each subject will need at IGCSE / GCSE level. For example, in science, students do experiments and learn how to describe what they did and explain the conclusions they reached in the same way as they would on our one and two-year GCSE / IGCSE course.
In history, students look at evidence and how to examine sources and write up and explain their findings – skills that are important irrespective of the actual period to be studied.
Throughout, students develop their use of the English language appropriate for studying and for life in a boarding school and the UK generally while socialising with others of many different nationalities. Students learn to analyse texts, develop research skills and present conclusions and results orally, in debates or in written form. Drama lessons help increase confidence in speaking and performing.
Students can attend this Pre-IGCSE / GCSE Summer Course for the whole 8 weeks or for 2, 4 or 6 or 7 weeks. For a thorough preparation, we recommend as much time as possible. You can study the same four subjects for the whole time, or choose different subjects in different two-week sections.
IGCSE / GCSE Summer School – 2021 dates
The short courses will take place from:
- 30 June 2021 for 2,4,6 or 8 weeks
- 14 July 2021 for 2,4 or 6 weeks
- 28 July 2021 for 2 or 4 weeks
- 11 August 2021 for 2 weeks
- 25 August 2021 – Final departure day
The last weeks of our summer school program (11 – 25 August 2021) are ideal preparation for international students placed in British Boarding Schools from September, helping students feel more confident and prepared.
Summer school – 2021 fees
- Fees of £1440 per week include boarding house accommodation, all meals, all sports and excursions
- Airport transfer service available
- Summer school photos from our 2019 courses
- General information and course options for our UK Summer school courses
- Blog post – Spend your holidays at an English summer school? You must be crazy …
- Photo gallery from previous summer schools
- Summer Courses Brochure (PDF)