IGCSE or GCSE Preparation Summer Course
Our IGCSE or GCSE Preparation Summer Course gives international students starting (or thinking about starting) IGCSE or GCSE courses the support they need to acquire skills vital to success.
Key points about this summer course
- Perfect preparation for school term GCSE / IGCSE courses at Sherborne International or other schools
- For students aged 8-17
- Very small class sizes (5 – 8 students)
- 30 lessons per week: 22hr 30m
- Six lessons in each of four chosen subjects plus six lessons of drama
- Essential study skills
- Experience of practical science
- Optional additional individual tuition classes available
- Full programme of sports, afternoon and evening activities
- Two excursions a week (including study trips on alternate Wednesdays for those staying more than two weeks)
- For students with CEFR level B1 and above
Students on our IGCSE or GCSE Preparation Summer Course can choose four subjects from: biology, chemistry, physics, maths, history, English and English literature.
Lessons give an introduction to the kinds of content and skills each subject will need at IGCSE / GCSE level. For example, in science, students do experiments and learn how to describe what they did and explain the conclusions they reached in the same way as they would on our one and two-year GCSE / IGCSE course.
In history, students look at evidence and how to examine sources and write up and explain their findings – skills that are important irrespective of the actual period to be studied.
Throughout, students develop their use of the English language appropriate for studying and for life in a boarding school and the UK generally while socialising with others of many different nationalities. Students learn to analyse texts, develop research skills and present conclusions and results orally, in debates or in written form. Drama lessons help increase confidence in speaking and performing.
Students can come for the whole eight weeks or for 2, 3, 4, or 6 weeks. For a thorough preparation, we recommend as much time as possible. You can study the same four subjects for the whole time, or choose different subjects in different two-week sections.
IGCSE / GCSE Preparation – Dates
There is now very limited availability on our 2018 IGCSE / GCSE Preparation Summer Course and some weeks are completely full:
4 July (for 2 weeks) – completely full 18 July (for 2 weeks) – completely full 1 August (for 2, 3 or 4 weeks) – completely full
- 15 August (for 2 weeks) – places available
The last two weeks (15-29 August) are ideal preparation for students placed in British Boarding Schools from September, helping students feel more confident and prepared.
IGCSE or GCSE Preparation – Fees
- £1345 per week – including boarding house accommodation, all meals, sports and excursions
- Airport Transfer Service from Heathrow and Gatwick: £100 per student each way
- Photo gallery from our 2018 summer school
- Slideshow video with photos and quotes from previous summer schools
- Photo gallery from previous summer schools
- Summer 2018 Brochure (PDF)
- Blog post – Spend your holidays at an English summer school? You must be crazy …