A level or IB Preparation Summer Course
Our A level or IB Preparation Summer Course is designed to help international students starting A Level or International Baccalaureate Diploma courses settle into their new school courses more quickly and confidently.
The course will really improve your chances of gaining good grades early in the course – a real help with final results and university applications.
Key points about this A level or IB Preparation Summer Course
- For students aged 8-17
- Very small class sizes (5 – 8 students)
- 30 lessons per week = 22 hours, 30 minutes
- Six lessons in each of four of the following subjects, plus six lessons of drama:
- English literature
- Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay to prepare for IB Diploma programme
- Essential study skills for A Level and IB preparation
- Experience of practical science
- Optional additional individual tuition classes available
- Full programme of sports, afternoon and evening activities
- Two excursions a week (including study trips on alternate Wednesdays for those staying more than two weeks)
- For students with CEFR level B2 and above
Lessons cover the basic components and techniques of each subject, plus the style of working at this level. Practical skills, written requirements and effective study habits relevant in each subject are emphasised.
Students develop their use of English language appropriate for studying and for life in a UK boarding school while socialising with students from many different nationalities. They learn to analyse texts, develop research skills and present conclusions and results verbally and in written form. Drama lessons help increase confidence with speaking and presentation.
2018 Dates – A Level or IB Preparation summer school
Students can attend this A Level or IB Preparation Summer Course for the whole eight weeks or for 2, 3, 4, or 6 weeks. For a thorough preparation, we recommend as much time as possible.
You can study the same four subjects for the whole time, or choose different subjects in different two-week sections.
- 4 July – for 2, 4, 6, 7 or 8 weeks
- 18 July – for 2, 4, 5 or 6 weeks
- 1 August – for 2, 3 or 4 weeks
- 15 August – for 2 weeks
Arrival and departure days are Wednesdays.
2018 Fees – A Level or IB Preparation summer school
- £1345 per week – including boarding house accommodation, all meals, sports and excursions
- Airport Transfer Service from Heathrow and Gatwick: £100 per student each way
- Summer 2018 Brochure (PDF)
- Photo gallery from previous summer schools
- Comments from previous summer school students
- Blog post – Spend your holidays at an English summer school? You must be crazy …