Pre A Level / IB
Pre A level or IB Summer School Course is designed to help international students starting A Level or International Baccalaureate Diploma courses settle into their new school courses more quickly and confidently.
The course will really improve your chances of gaining good grades early in the course – a real help with final results and university applications.
Pre A Level / IB Course – Key Points
- For students aged 15-17
- Very small class sizes (5 – 8 students)
- 30 lessons per week = 22 hours, 30 minutes
- Six lessons in each of four of the following subjects, plus six lessons of drama:
- English literature
- IB Diploma Skills*
*IB Diploma Skills is a package Theory of Knowledge, Extended Essay and CAS
- Essential study skills for A Level and IB preparation
- Experience of practical science
- Optional additional individual tuition classes available
- Full programme of sports, afternoon and evening activities
- Two excursions a week (including study trips on alternate Wednesdays for those staying more than two weeks)
- For students with CEFR level B2 (Upper Intermediate Level) and above
Lessons on this Pre A level / IB summer school course cover the basic components and techniques of each subject, plus the style of working at this level. Practical skills, written requirements and effective study habits relevant in each subject are emphasised.
Students develop their use of English language appropriate for studying and for life in a UK boarding school while socialising with students from many different nationalities. They learn to analyse texts, develop research skills and present conclusions and results verbally and in written form. Drama lessons help increase confidence with speaking and presentation.
Summer school – 2023 dates
The short courses will take place from:
- 5 July 2023 for 2, 4, 6 or 7 weeks
- 19 July 2023 for 2, 4, or 5 weeks
- 2 August 2023 for 2 or 3 weeks
- 16 August 2023 for 1 week
- 23 August 2023 – Final departure day
The last weeks of our summer school program are ideal preparation for international students placed in British Boarding Schools from September, helping students feel more confident and prepared.
Summer school – 2023 fees
- Fees for all summer courses £1440 per week. This includes boarding house accommodation, all meals, all sports and excursions
- Airport transfer service available – price to be confirmed