Specialist Academic Preparation for starting A Level / IB
Our A level or IB Preparation Summer School Course is designed to help international students starting A Level or International Baccalaureate Diploma courses settle into their new school courses more quickly and confidently.
The course will really improve your chances of gaining good grades early in the course – a real help with final results and university applications.
A Level / IB Preparation Course – Key Points
- For students aged 15-17
- Very small class sizes (5 – 8 students)
- 30 lessons per week = 22 hours, 30 minutes
- Six lessons in each of four of the following subjects, plus six lessons of drama:
- English literature
- Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay to prepare for IB Diploma programme
- Essential study skills for A Level and IB preparation
- Experience of practical science
- Optional additional individual tuition classes available
- Full programme of sports, afternoon and evening activities
- Two excursions a week (including study trips on alternate Wednesdays for those staying more than two weeks)
- For students with CEFR level B2 and above
Lessons on this A level / IB summer school course cover the basic components and techniques of each subject, plus the style of working at this level. Practical skills, written requirements and effective study habits relevant in each subject are emphasised.
Students develop their use of English language appropriate for studying and for life in a UK boarding school while socialising with students from many different nationalities. They learn to analyse texts, develop research skills and present conclusions and results verbally and in written form. Drama lessons help increase confidence with speaking and presentation.
Summer school – 2019 dates
Booking for our 2019 A Level / IB Preparation Summer School Course opens in the last week of September for the following dates:
- 3 July for 2, 4, 6, 7 or 8 weeks
- 17 July for 2, 4, 5 or 6 weeks
- 31 July for 2, 3 or 4 weeks
- 14 August for 2 weeks
The last two weeks (14-28 August) are ideal preparation for students placed in British Boarding Schools from September, helping students feel more confident and prepared.
Summer school – 2019 fees
- Fees of £1390 per week include boarding house accommodation, all meals, all sports and excursions
- Airport Transfer Service from Heathrow and Gatwick: £105 per student each way
- Summer school photos and videos from our 2018 courses
- Slideshow video with photos and quotes from previous summer schools
- Photo gallery from previous summer schools
- Summer 2019 Brochure (PDF)
- Blog post – Spend your holidays at an English summer school? You must be crazy …