Pre A Level / IB
Pre A level or IB Summer School Course is designed to help international students starting A Level or International Baccalaureate Diploma courses settle into their new school courses more quickly and confidently.
The course will really improve your chances of gaining good grades early in the course – a real help with final results and university applications.
Pre A Level / IB Course – Key Points
- For students aged 15-17
- Very small class sizes (5 – 8 students)
- 30 lessons per week = 22 hours, 30 minutes
- Six lessons in each of four of the following subjects, plus six lessons of drama:
- English literature
- IB Diploma Skills*
*IB Diploma Skills is a package Theory of Knowledge, Extended Essay and CAS
- Essential study skills for A Level and IB preparation
- Experience of practical science
- Optional additional individual tuition classes available
- Full programme of sports, afternoon and evening activities
- Two excursions a week (including study trips on alternate Wednesdays for those staying more than two weeks)
- For students with CEFR level B2 and above
Lessons on this Pre A level / IB summer school course cover the basic components and techniques of each subject, plus the style of working at this level. Practical skills, written requirements and effective study habits relevant in each subject are emphasised.
Students develop their use of English language appropriate for studying and for life in a UK boarding school while socialising with students from many different nationalities. They learn to analyse texts, develop research skills and present conclusions and results verbally and in written form. Drama lessons help increase confidence with speaking and presentation.
Summer school – 2021 dates
The short courses will take place from:
- 30 June 2021 for 2,4,6 or 8 weeks
- 14 July 2021 for 2,4 or 6 weeks
- 28 July 2021 for 2 or 4 weeks
- 11 August 2021 for 2 weeks
- 25 August 2021 – Final departure day
The last weeks of our summer school program (11 – 25 August 2021) are ideal preparation for international students placed in British Boarding Schools from September, helping students feel more confident and prepared.
Summer school – 2021 fees
- Fees of £1440 per week include boarding house accommodation, all meals, all sports and excursions
- Airport transfer service available
- Summer school photos from our 2019 courses
- General information and course options for our UK Summer school courses
- Blog post – Spend your holidays at an English summer school? You must be crazy …
- Photo gallery from previous summer schools
- Summer Courses Brochure (PDF)