Preparation for GCSE or IGCSE Summer Course
This Preparation for GCSE or IGCSE Summer Course gives international students starting (or thinking about starting) IGCSE or GCSE courses the support they need to acquire skills vital to success.
Key points about this summer school course
- For students aged 8-17
- Very small class sizes (5 – 8 students)
- 30 lessons per week: 22hr 30m
- Six lessons in each of four chosen subjects plus six lessons of drama
- Essential study skills
- Experience of practical science
- Optional additional individual tuition classes available
- Full programme of sports, afternoon and evening activities
- Two excursions a week (including study trips on alternate Wednesdays for those staying more than two weeks)
- For students with CEFR level B1 and above
For their subjects, students can choose four from: biology, chemistry, physics, maths, history, English and English literature.
Lessons give an introduction to the kinds of content and skills each subject will need at IGCSE / GCSE level. For example, in science, students do experiments and learn how to describe what they did and explain the conclusions they reached in the same way as they will need to do for the exam course. In history, students look at evidence and how to examine sources and write up and explain their findings – skills that are important irrespective of the actual period to be studied.
Throughout, students develop their use of the English language appropriate for studying and for life in a boarding school and the UK generally while socialising with others of many different nationalities. Students learn to analyse texts, develop research skills and present conclusions and results orally, in debates or in written form. Drama lessons help increase confidence in speaking and performing.
Students can come for the whole eight weeks or can register for 2, 3, 4, or 6 weeks. For a thorough preparation, we recommend as much time as possible. You can study the same four subjects for the whole time, or may choose different subjects in different two-week sections.
2018 Dates – Preparation for GCSE or IGCSE Summer Course
Our Preparation for GCSE or IGCSE Summer Course lasts for two, three, four, six or eight weeks:
- 4 July – for 2, 4, 6, 7 or 8 weeks
- 18 July – for 2, 4, 5 or 6 weeks
- 1 August – for 2, 3 or 4 weeks
- 15 August – for 2 weeks
Arrival and departure days are Wednesdays.
- £1345 per week – including boarding house accommodation, all meals, sports and excursions
- Airport Transfer Service from Heathrow and Gatwick: £100 per student each way
Please view our Summer School Courses 2018 Brochure for more information.
See more comments from previous students.